Sunday, April 24, 2011

tougher then you know.

This was my first "tornado season" with my new shelter. Im glad it was dry inside! A couple of nights, a big twister blew right over my house. Now I havent been inside of a shelter for about 35 years. You just cant see the funnel from down there! But that night, I sensed something coming that was definitely not good. I saw the weather patterns.. and I saw the radar. But then something happened for the first time. I felt something. and it said...ITS COMING! lol. well. i relooked... and waited. this storm should have gone just to the north of me...but i could see via radar new ones were coming ..right for me. Then the lightning got so bad..I decided to go ahead and test the shelter. It had just started to rain, and I timed it right. I learned some things that night. First.. take a stupid flashlight oh rocket scientist. and clean and bug bomb the thing before storm season! well. I got the one single candle lit.... NOT enough light! and kept my eye on the black widow in the corner. Every time I moved the candle  that stupid spider moved. closer! 

so i sat there... puffed my pipe..and listened. then sissy started texting me... updating me. apparantly the storm grew quickly and produced at least 2 tornadoes. both were very close to me. I heard the weather helicopter buzzing around my house. The sounds of the storm almost made me deaf!  Then the special noises.... train sounds. things hitting my metal door of the shelter... i could see the light of the lightning thru the crack in the metal door every time the door tried to fly open! good thing it was chained shut. i knew my house and/or barn was getting blown away.

while I sat there...i acknowledged that none of this "stuff" was mine anyay. Im just borrowing it all ..until my time on earth is over. The trees, grass, animals, the barn ..and my home. I figured worse come to worse, Ill still have a nice patio. lol. I knew when I opened that door... that it was going to be a shock. I braced myself. just another valley to trot through right?  i opened the door...

nothing at all ... was amiss! geesh..i could hve stayed in the house?!! I was so relieved. i did have soem barn damage. but oh well. 2 1/2 inches of rain...  sometimes things seem so bad. you pray, you worry, you just know your not gonna get past it... you figure the damage done will just be too much. but it isnt. it just isnt. i guess were tougher creatures then we know. next time...Ill pee before I go though! and I have a broom, and extra light in there too!

Happy Easter.

No comments: