Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The winter from hell.

Well Im finally coming out of hibernation.. like a fat old bear. I kinda resemble a fat ol bear. Oh Ive shaved and took a bath...ok a shower...so im human like again... Just coming out of the worst coldest winter week Ive ever seen in oklahoma. 2 weeks ago, we had a foot of snow...and it made -12 degrees!! many mornings were around  -8. It was a lot of work. Im thanking the Good Lord that i didnt lose power, as my propane heater was MISSING! lol. I never needed it before, but it was not in the well house! and it was too late of course to buy one. Luckily I had bought a Mr. Buddy heater, and it did save me. I had all kinds of interesting experiences....but again...thanking God... I did not lose one single head of cattle, and I even had a calf born in -8 degrees! You can imagine my surprise when I saw it... she looked like a small buffalo... born big, at around 75 lbs... with thick fur. I guess thats why it survived. We tried to towel her off, but what was on her, was frozen and there was no wiping. Pam named her Elsa...the frozen character... No waterpipes burst, but the barn water froze because I left a hose on it. that caused some problems...but we finally made it through. I ran out of hay, and I was sure I was going to have EXTRA hay left over. I bought 25 more bales...and again, thanking God it was good hay, I got it delivered! I discovered how to "de gel" a tractor, thanks to the Mr. buddy heater.... problems I never had before ever.. and I have since then, bought a block heater too.


 Now its 72 degrees! One of the chickens was so surprised it killed over dead. But just in case, I put an anti biotic in its water. Its been a busy life... and now Im trying to plant a garden..Ive decided I should wait til after easter, so I wont have the dang thing flooded again...seems to happen every time...so now, after easter is my new time to plant. I wont know til I try it. Seems to be my life....but Ive discovered that trying everything is probably not good at this age of the game! I dont recover well or as fast!

Now as this face of oklahoma changes...it seems like that happens about every 24 hours... the weather does too... Today although its 72 deg, the wind has blown now for 2 days at about 25 mph!! This is strong enough to make yoru loggin chains flap in the wind, and if your trying to work outside, it might knock your teeth out. I swear if I was a woman in a dress (or any sub species in a dress these days) Id be naked in 30 minutes! My clothes would just blow off me. Its so windy here, you have to use velcro to keep your clothes on! 

So I got my tiller fixed, and on the tractor... and i have the garden spot all tilled up. Since Its calling for rain this weekend, Ill not make any plans for it til after that. It may be alittle big, so maybe I got carried away.. lol. the rows are 145 ft long and there will be about 15 rows as it is 45 ft wide. I need me one of those little old men that make it look easy to be out there workin that place up, and making it look perfect...No. just dont say it. I refuse to see myself as THAT little old man. Besides I cry after I work it every time, and those old guys seem to shuffle along and make it look perfect.



Between that big calf, and this big boy tractor with heat.... Im proud and blessed! 

So Ive finally taken the controversial vaccine shot, and I get the 2nd one on the 18th. I do not yet have any extra tails, or noses...or...ahem... anything like that., and I had no reaction that I could tell. It was the moderna one..and we shall see what the 2nd one does now. 

I think that kinda updates my life more or less. thank you to all the millions of people..hahahahhaa that is reading this... I just KNOW  youve missed me. Jack says hey....and the stars still twinkle at me...so as long as there is a God that forgives, and food (helps if its good) and just a few friends that love me no matter what I do,  and grandchildren...oh and sunsets... Ill be good.

No comments: